Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Pleasant Diversion


I'm not a huge online gamer. That is to say, I'm not very into online games (not that I'm not a giant, obese, fat player of online games. I mean, I'm NOT a fat, obese gamer, but the point is, that is not what I was referring... nevermind).

Despite my lack of fondness for online games, I do occasionally stumble across something that captures my attention like nothing else has before it, and once in a while it is an online game!

Meet flOw. I know it's been around for a while, so forgive me if you've seen it, but I have only recently discovered the joy of playing this little school project, and it is sublime. flOw casts you as a strange creature, swimming in what could be an ocean, or just as easily the atmospheres of an alien planet. You simply move the mouse to direct the creature, and you eat other creatures to grow. You descend to deeper levels by eating the red marker, or ascend by eating the blue one. As you descend, sometimes you encounter other creatures that also try to eat you...

Anyhow, it's definitely worth a try. Click the link on my sidebar to give flOw a whirl...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After playing flOw for a while, and reading a little on strategy, I got to the end of the 2nd level...fun and addictive. The academic work on the flow of game design extremely interesting too.

With the idea of flow in mind--a balance between challenge and abilities--I did some reading of reviews on Twilight Princess. Having tried my hand at some Flash and C++ games, I never thought about that balance. How fascinating. So last night, even before I've gotten my Wii, I purchased Z:TP from Gamestop (with store credit from older trade-ins). Now I'm ready.

Somehow from flOw I ended up at Line Rider, which is soon to be released for DS and for Wii!!! I was so excited I could hardly contain myself yesterday. I'll be going back to play some more today.